The uMbhaco set of Traditional Xhosa clothing includes a Mnyotho (skirt), Bhayi (shawl), Skhwenkweni (bra shawl), Ncebetha (outer apron), Faskoti (inner apron) and a Doek (head scarf). Please include all your measurements so that we can start making your tailor made outfit!
The entire set is made of other items are made of the traditional Xhosa fabric iBayi, which is 100% cotton, it is made in the uMbhaco style with mother-of-pearl buttons, beaded and braided. Please select which type of Mnyotho you would like (With a tail; Skirt with buttons or a wrap skirt) and also select the type of doek you would like (Melton felt or umbhaco, available in many sizes). Beading is done to suit the fabric but you are welcome to request your colours.
All products are made to order, please allow 2 weeks for completion of your order.
- The size of the doeks are: Small umbhaco triangle: 120x85x85cm's, Square: 100x100cm's or Ready to Wear.
- Stitching is also done to suit the colour of the fabric, but you are again welcome to request any other colour.
- Da Gama iBayi fabric is available in the colours white, cream, red, turqoise blue, black, mustard and orange. We can also make this item in royal blue but the fabric is not from Da Gama. The braiding is in done in black using shoelace braid.
- This set comes with a plain ncebetha, but you are welcome to request one of our 3 embroidered designs.
- uMbhaco set items are also available individually.
- Our crafters are highly experienced African Xhosa seamstresses and beaders who work with a range of fabrics and beading styles to bring you contemporary and traditional ethnic clothing and jewellery, only found in the Eastern Cape, South Africa.
We Also Recommend